Garages are often seen as a weak point, security wise, and in the UK, are typically used for storage or extra living space and less often used for vehicle storage. Regardless of the space’s usage, garages will usually contain high value items that need protecting. This is even more important if the garage provides access into the home. In order to keep stored valuables and/or your home safe, you should use these methods to improve your garage security:
• A home Security system (especially a monitored one) is a great deterrent for theft, especially when advertised on the exterior of your home.
• Ensuring your security system includes security of the garage and not just the house.
• Exterior motion-operated lights are an additional way to keep your property safe and less appealing to thieves.
• Video Door bells that notify you of motion at your door that link to mobile and allow you to see and speak through the device are becoming quite popular.
• Ensuring garage windows are locked and secured is also important. You can have these obscured so that light still gets through but people will not be able to see inside. You can also invest in window bars.